A blog about meaningful adventures, wildlife, conservation biology and connection. By Ryan Kleinert
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Short-eared Owls!
I have been birding fairly intensely the past few days and my effort has resulted in a few amazing encounters. I fell in love this Sunday with a Short-eared Owl . She was hunting in a field with two Northern Harriers at Sachuest NWR. Absolutely amazing! Watching a Short-eared Owl through a scope is a magical and life altering experience. Apparently the next evening there were 4 Short-eared Owls, 2 Red-tailed Hawks, and 3 Northern Harriers are in the same field!!! I was tempted to drive over there but I was busy birding Jamestown and was spellbound by a coyote that was hunting around Fox Hill Pond/Salt Marsh (Fort Getty). I wish that Coyote was a Wolf but I am glad that we at least have Coyoti. It is a botanist's and ecologist's dream to have Grey Wolf back in the Northeast. The deer are overabundant and are destroying native flora and negatively impacting forest regeneration. Not only do they spread invasive species but their overabundance leads to extensive herbivory and browsing. Enough ranting... For the Birds- Ryan

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment